The International Students Hostel, UFRO, O.U.
Rules & Regulations
The International Students Hostel(ISH) is established by Osmania University, Hyderabad to provide lodging facilities to the eligible International male PG & Ph.D. students of Campus & Constituent Colleges of Osmania University. The hostel is administered by a Director with the assistance of a Manager and other staff as per the rules prescribed by the University. The rules and regulations governing the International Students Hostel(ISH) are as follows:
The International Students Hostel(ISH) has been established
- to facilitate comfortable residential accommodation for enabling the foreign students to allocate enough time for their studies and research.
- to provide accommodation under one roof for students of different countries nurturing the object of harmonious togetherness; and
- to help the students understand and exchange each other's culture and heritage.
Elgibility for admission
GOI sponsored (ICCR)/Ethiopian sponsored/ Self-financed male students from Post Graduate and Ph.D. programmes offered in the Campus & Constituent Colleges and Departments only are eligible for admission into International Students Hostel(ISH).
The hostel accommodation is allotted to the applicants on the following priority basis:
- Sponsored Ph.D. Scholars
- Self-financed Ph.D. Scholars
- Sponsored Post Graduate Students
- Self-financed Post Graduate Students
The seats in the International Students Hostel(ISH) shall be allotted to the Ph.D and Post Graduate students in the ratio of 30:70.
- Foreign students seeking admission in the International Students Hostel(ISH) should fill the prescribed registration / application form made available in UFRO, O.U.
- Rooms shall be allotted by the Director duly in consultation with the Management Committee of International Students Hostel(ISH) as per the norms prescribed by the University.
- Admission to the Hostel is valid for a period of one year, which shall be renewed for the next academic year based on the students' academic performance, payment of tariff as well as behavior in the hostel. The renewal for the next academic year is to be completed within 10 days from the declaration of their results or the due date whichever is later. They will be charged a late fee of Rs. 50/- per day if they fail to renew their accommodation in the International Students Hostel(ISH) as above. Failure to renew admission within one month from the due date will result in cancellation of hostel admission.
- Ph.D. Scholars should vacate their rooms within fifteen days of the completion of their course. The maximum period of stay for a P.G. student is two years and for a Ph.D. student is four years. Extension for Ph.D. student shall be granted on the recommendation of the concerned Departmental Research Committee.
- Students who were involved in any activity of indiscipline shall not be admitted in the hostel.
- During the allotment of room, preference shall be given to the students with good academic record. Preference shall also be given to the students who have achieved distinction in extracurricular activities on the basis of submission of relevant certificates in its support.
Hostel fees(Room Tariff)
The Hostel Fee Structure is as follows:
|Type of Accommodation
||Refundable Caution Deposit
||Room Rent per month
||Two months' of Room rent, i.e, Rs. 5,000/-
||Rs. 2,500/- only
||Two months' of Room rent, i.e, Rs. 3,000/-
||Rs. 1,500/- only
|Double Occupancy taken as Single occupancy
||Amount charged for two persons in the double occupancy, i.e, Rs. 10,000/-
||Rs. 5,000/- only
Caution Deposit:Each boarder has to make a refundable Caution Deposit of Rs, 15,000/- at the time of admission. This deposit shall be maintained in a separate account by the Director, UFRO, O.U.
Mode of payment of Room Rent:Advance room rent shall be paid once in three months, failing which the candidate shall be removed from the rolls of the hostel. All the residents going out of Hyderabad, during their vacation or at other times shall pay their dues in time.
General Rules & Regulations
- All application forms are scrutinized by the Hostel authorities and eligible candidates will be given admission into the Hostel. The list of the selected candidates will be displayed on the Notice Boards of the International Students Hostel(ISH), O.U. and the office of UFRO, O.U.
- Residents are not permitted to take their visitors to their rooms. They must stay back at the Visitor's Lounge.
- Residents are not allowed to keep any pet animals or birds in the Hostel premises.
- They are expected to keep their rooms neat & clean and the furniture and fittings in their rooms in fit condition. They will be held responsible for any loss, damage or breakage. In case of damage, loss or breakage, the residents will be charged individually or collectively as the case may be. The money will be deducted from their caution deposit. Also strict Disciplinary action will be initiated against those residents.
- Any furnishings and furniture in the visitors lounge/ TV Hall/Dining halls should not be moved or removed under any circumstances.
- Prior written permission from the Hostel authorities is mandatory to shift the room in the Hostel premises.
- Basic Medical facilities are available at the University Health Centre on the main Campus of the University. The list of doctors and consultation schedules are available at the Health Centre.
- An Official Identity Card shall be issued by the Hostel authorities to all admitted foreign students. The residents are expected to carry their identity cards at all times and produce them on demand.
- Smoking or consumption of alcohol or narcotic drugs is strictly prohibited on the Hostel premises and public places on the hostel campus.
- Ragging in any form is strictly prohibited. Any resident indulging in ragging will be liable to be expelled from the hostel, without notice.
- The following information on emergency services shall be displayed on the notice board of the Hostel Office and the Health centre:
|O.U. Police Station
|OU Health Centre
||Refer the last page for all contact numbers
- The residents shall submit a monthly attendance certificate from the Head of the concerned Department to the Director, International Students Hostel(ISH) for the record and monitoring purposes.
- On going out of residence during vacation, members must handover keys of their rooms to the Manager, International Students Hostel(ISH) and sign the key book. Failure to handover keys constitutes a major breach of regulations and will attract severe punitive sanction.
- Members are required to remove all personal property from their rooms before embarking on their vacation. The Hostel has no responsibility for property in the students' rooms.
- Guests are permitted only between 8:00 and 10:00 am. ; and 4.00 and 8.00 pm.
- All visitors must sign the visitors' book and wear the â€œVISITORS ID CARDâ€. It is in the interest of the residents that their guests should register with the Manager on entering the Hostel. Visitors found not to have signed the visitors' book will be considered to have entered the Hostel without authorization.
- The Manager or any of his staff is authorized to:-
- Refuse admission to visitors outside the permitted hours.
- Demand the names of visitors outside the permitted hours.
- Ask any visitors who may be rude or create a disturbance to leave the Hostel
- Students are not allowed to accommodate any guest in their rooms. It contravenes both university and Hostel regulations to extend personal accommodation facilities to guests. Very severe sanctions are invoked for the infraction of this regulation. In exceptional cases a student who urgently desires accommodation for a guest may apply to the Hostel Manager who will be able to inform him, if there is a room available for his guest.
- Students are prohibited to duplicate room/wardrobe keys. Students who lose keys must report to the Hostel Manager for immediate replacement.
- Students shall not paint or decorate their rooms or change locks without authorization. Any such acts of redecoration shall render a student liable to disciplinary action.
- The noise from musical instruments, radios, religious noise, human noise etc, must be controlled at all times so that it does not constitute a nuisance to other members of the Hostel. Any student making undue noise within the Hostel renders himself liable to disciplinary action.
- Students who are disturbed by intolerable noise or any other disturbances may report to the Hostel Manager who in turn will warn the offending student. If the latter fails to comply, the Hostel Manager will make a formal report in the Occurrence Book for appropriate action to be taken.
- Students who wish to organize any public function within or outside the hostel shall obtain permission from the Hostel Manager in writing 72 hours before the function is organized, at a common place identified by the Director, International Students Hostel(ISH), O.U. between 5.00 and 7.00 pm.
- The boarders of the International Students Hostel(ISH) shall not invite, entertain or accommodate any girl or woman into the Hostel, under any circumstances.
- Once the course is completed or when their period of registration expires, the foreign students cease to be the residents of the hostel. They have to vacate their rooms within five days of completion of the course, failing which stringent action shall be initiated against them as per rules in vogue.
- Any student who wishes to absent himself even for one day also shall inform the hostel authorities, leaving their contact address and telephone number with the hostel office.
- Ph.D. scholars proceeding on field work are allowed to retain their room as per the rules in vogue, on prior submission of a certificate to that effect from the Dean of the concerned faculty.
Do's & Dont's
- The resident is instructed to always carry the hostel identity card. The security personnel / hostel authorities may inspect this any time.
- Residents are expected to behave decently and politely with the hostel staff at all times and shall not enter into any arguments with them. Any grievances should be brought to the notice of the Hostel Manager or Director of International Students Hostel(ISH).
- Visitors are not permitted in the residential areas of the hostel.
- Residents should get their rooms cleaned in their presence or hand over the keys to the cleaning staff appointed for the purpose.
- They should not handover their room keys to any unauthorized person. They should keep their doors locked even if they go out for a short while.
- Smoking and consumption of alcohol or drugs in the Hostel is strictly prohibited.
- All the residents are directed to be in their rooms latest by 10.30 p.m.
- They should ensure that the heaters, geysers, taps and other electrical equipments are closed/switched off when they leave the hostel premises.
- At the time of admission to hostel, foreign students have to sign a declaration that they shall adhere to the rules of disciplinary jurisdiction of the Hon'ble Vice-Chancellor, Directors, Joint-Director and Manager, who are vested with the authority to exercise discipline under the Acts, Statutes, Ordinances and Rules of the University.
- The students who violate the Hostel/University rules or cause any disturbance in the hostel are liable to disciplinary action by the Directors.
- The candidates have to produce Hostel ID Card whenever required for verification.
- The Hostel reserves the right to conduct periodic inspections of the rooms/premises of students for health and safety purposes. Students who obstruct these instructions shall be liable to disciplinary action.
- The Rules given in this handbook are subject to change.
- The decisions of the Director as per the rules and regulations mentioned above shall be final and binding on all concerned.
- Director, International Students Hostel(ISH): Prof.
- Office Assistant:
- Office Subordinate:
Emergency Phone Numbers
|O.U. Police Station
OUR HEALTH CENTRE
|Chief Medical Officer
|Lady Medical Officer
|Night Duty Doctor
|Emergency Duty Doctor
||040-27098171 (9:00 PM - 8:00 AM)